Pages

25 Apr 2013

When a little longing goes a long way

Pulling into Kakori: seriously, who names a town after a kebab?

"No, of course I'm not bored," I assured her, "just thought you may want to try something new. You're what, 25? Live a little!" 

''Oh I know it's not like there's nothing left to try," she said, "I even have a list. It's not that. I'm just not that interested in theatre or... shopping or... I don't know.. freebasing." 

''Freebasing's overrated anyway,'' I told her. 

''So you agree?'' she asked. 

I looked at her. 

''I guess so,'' I said, ''summer's almost over. You should leave. That was the plan.'' 

''That was my plan,'' she said, ''you have a better idea?''

I scoured her face for sarcasm. She looked as sincere as she sounded.

"Look," I said, "I'm getting the feeling I'm a little out of my depth here. When I asked you if you'd like to try something new, I just meant try the kakori kebabs. They have a new chef here and the kebabs are  on an introductory half price deal." 

Icy Highs's Music Recco: A little longing goes away - The Books, Lost And Safe (2005)   





17 comments:

Neha said...

I can't explain it, but after reading this I'm left with the distinct feeling of having eavesdropped. :/

Anonymous said...

Dude, don't tell me you serious suggested she try 'Kakori kebabs' and that they were even on an introductory half price?

GuyCode - Food Section 8 - Rule number 81 states: "Don't offer or suggest the food she should eat or try. The chances are she will, therefore, take out all the anger of that week on you disguised as 'this food you recommended is disgusting you always mess up my mood, this is all your fault' you simply have triggered a Tsunami"

and where:

GuyCode - Shopping Section 4 - Rule number 26 states: "Don't bring to her attention any special offers or half price deals (unless they are tampons or sanitary towels) unless she discovers for herself. This way, she will feel as if she is doing you a favour and not the other way around"

Dude, these GuyCode rules are there for a reason. I can't believe you broke rule number 81 and rule number 26 at the same time.

How was the Kakori Kebabs anyway?

Susan Kane said...

I think you got off easy on that one.

Unknown said...

Haha Neha, I don't want to disappoint you but you didn't eavesdrop on anything, I'm afraid. Just a little short story. :)

Unknown said...

Wow BAB, I don't know how I made it to 28 not knowing any of this stuff. You need to sit down with Fatboy and like write a book of rules or something.

Unknown said...

Hi Susan, I think you're probably right.

DWei said...

I don't recognize these guy codes at all. I guess I'm just lucky that I've never broken them before.

Talitha said...

Your posts leave me empowered.
Don't ask me how.:P

Blue Grumpster said...

A woman who doesn't like shopping. I don't hear that very often. And she's got a list? I bet my booty camp isn't on it. ;)

Unknown said...

Dwei, when you break the guy code, you'll know. Trust me, you'll know. If you don't, your best friend is definitely not doing his job!

Unknown said...

That's pretty damn sweet of you to say Talitha, thank you. :)

Unknown said...

Haha Blue, I love that you picked on the part about shopping. Man-points to you sir!

Workingdan said...

You had me at kebobs!

Arcane said...

This one seems err confusing all those guy things type but you know somehow I like the idea of having lists and not quite enjoying shopping ;)

Ramakant Pradhan said...

Nice humourous post! Where is this Kakori Kebabs btw?

My Unfinished Life said...

hmmmm.....kakori kebabs are delicious.... :)

http://www.myunfinishedlife.com

goatman said...

Nice play with symmetry on the visuals.
Music is serene and brian-eno like -- numbed out there for a moment-- . . . Thanks